11 April, 2011

Now what?

We were able to enjoy a beautiful weekend at home since leaving the hospital.  Yesterday was the kind of day that one would ask for. It was 88 degrees, the boys helped me water the flowers, and right as we finish the ice cream truck rolls through....great day.  We have been floating on a cloud over Robert's ANC counts.  It turn out that as rough as this Methotrexate is, it does not greatly reduce counts like the other therapies.  This means that we are enjoying a small window where we can ease up on most of the precautions and isolation that we have become accustomed too.  In fact, his ANC is so high and he was feeling so well, that we were going to let him go to school for a half of a day this week!  He is very excited about getting to seem some friends.

We hit a bit of a bump in the road.  He developed a terrible cough last night.  A persistent cough can be a side effect of an allergic reaction to Methotrexate.  So we didn't let him go to school today, and Kasie called the docs for direction.  In the absence of a fever they are not overly concerned, and directed us to the Pediatrician.    Could just be a cold, which is actually ok at this moment because he is in this window of strong immunity.  Could be allergies,as the pollen count here is off the charts right now.  We are holding our breath on the mouth sore issue.   If they develop, they usually begin  3-7 days after treatment.  Today is day 6 and I believe that he may have one small one.  He uses a mouth wash four times a day to help prevent them, hopefully they will stay at bay.  Maybe school tomorrow, I'd sure hate for him to miss this opportunity.